The quickest way to get to Chatel is from Geneva Airport, which is served by a wide variety of budget airlines from all over Europe. Once at Geneva Airport, you have a choice of car hire, train or shuttle to get to Chatel which is approximately 1 1/2 hours away.
Chatel is easily reached by autoroute from all over Europe. If coming from the UK or Northern France, the turning for Annemasse should be taken on the A40, and follow the southern side of Lake Geneva to Thonon where Chatel is signposted (Val d'Abondance or Chatel) If coming from Germany, Austria or Switzerland, it is a good idea to aim for the northern side of Lake Geneva, Montreux and then Aigle. From Aigle it is a short climb to Morgins and then Chatel.
If hiring a car at Geneva Airport, the best advice is to hire from the French side of the airport to get lower prices. However these cars will not necessarily have the "vignette" enabling one to drive on Swiss autoroutes so if you plan on using Chatel as a base for visiting different neighbouring Swiss resorts by autoroute, you may be better off hiring from the Swiss side.
A very attractive option from Geneva Airport is to take the train from inside the terminal direct to Aigle or Bex, and then take a taxi for the last leg to Chatel. The views are fantastic, especially around Montreux and it is a very civilised mode of transport. However it is not particularly cheap, being Switzerland, and you are then without your own transport in Chatel. There are also TGV trains to Thonon les Bains on the southern side of Lake Geneva from where there are buses to Chatel which are more frequent in the main winter and summer holiday seasons.
Another option is to book a shuttle to Chatel from Geneva Airport, or Thonon or Aigle Train stations. They can be good value for solo travellers and couples, but tend to be expensive for families.
Directions to apartment from Geneva Airport (French sector):
- On leaving the French sector of Geneva Airport, turn right through the customs into Switzerland and follow signs for Centre Ville or Lac.
- When you reach the lake, keep the lake on your left the whole time, following signs to Evian.
- At Thonon, follow 'Toutes Directions' until you see signs for Châtel and Morzine.
- Follow this road (D902) into the mountains.
- Just after a newish tunnel of around 100m length, turn left for Châtel, at the roundabout and stay on this road (D22), passing through Abondance and Chapelle d'Abondance, until you reach the village.
- As you reach Châtel centre, the church and the market square are on your right.
- Dead opposite the church, turn sharp left up a steep but short slope, bear left immediately and then bear right at the fork towards Petit Chatel. (This all takes place within 100 meters!)
- After almost 1km, the Barbossine chair-lift station is on your right and, shortly after, the road bears round to the right.
- Take care here, as there are no road-markings! The road from Super-Châtel joins on your right. (Ignore it)
- Continue straight on and follow the road up and round to the right directly in front of an apartment block (Yeti 3 and 4). Continue past this, then immediately up and round to the left, PAST yeti 5.
- Go up the drive until you can't go any further, around to the right at the top and you will see a 'Roller-shutter' Garage Door. (There isn't a pedestrian entrance!) This is for 'Yeti 6'. (not clearly marked!) This is the only entrance to the building and is at the end of the road. You cannot drive any further!
- If the garage door is closed, park the car here and go through the side door next to the garage door, up the slope and up the stone steps on the left, turn left again up the internal steps and into the lift or carry on up more steps to apartment #16.
- The key to the appartment is in the key safe adjacent to the front door. You will have been given the code for this safe.
- Once inside the appartment, you can find the remote control that opens the garage door. It should be left in the little Key Cabinet on the wall in the Lounge above the light-switch. All the other keys are here too!
- (If the apartment lights don't work, the fuse-box is in the hall-way above the bunk-beds. Just push in all the fuses and/or the grey button near the top.)
- When you've opened the Garage door, drive up the tunnel to the open parking area. Your place is just ahead and to the left, marked with B6/16 and a red and white cone. Ski-lockers are just inside the entrance from this car-park, on the right. 1 flight up are the house rules, letter-boxes and the lift.